Salt damage on your trees
Winter applications of salt or de-icing solutions can cause damage to trees. Road spray from vehicles can damage even mature trees. The symptoms of salt damage often appear similar to winter sun damage. An experienced arborist can identify the cause.
To help prevent salt damage to plants:
- Avoid using deicing salts near trees.
- Water plants thoroughly in the spring to flush salt from the surrounding soil. This will help minimize the amount of salt tree roots come in contact with.
- Anti-transpirants can help protect needles and branches from salt spray.
- Plant salt-tolerant trees and shrubs in areas that are routinely exposed to deicing salts.
- For trees and shrubs damaged by salt, soil and root treatments can help to restore health.