Spring Clean-Up Checklist for Trees and Shrubs
Our experts have assembled this checklist to help you get the most from your spring clean up:
- Clear debris and weeds from the base of trees and shrubs.
- TIP: Skip the yard waste bags. Gather compostables like twigs or leaves and follow the University of Minnesota’s guide on backyard composting.
- Examine mature trees for damaged or broken limbs.
- Remove dead or broken limbs that can be safely reached, using proper pruning techniques.
- It is ideal to prune most trees in the winter, but potential hazards should be taken care of before summer thunderstorms roll in!
- Prune shrubs to remove areas of frostbite, burns from road salt, or rodent damage. Old seed heads can also be trimmed away.
- Install or replenish mulch rings.
- Mulch should be approximately 3-5 inches deep.
- Start mulch at least 3 inches away from the tree’s trunk.
- Never pile mulch high on the tree’s trunk, or it will cause rot.
- Check out our guide on the Mulching Benefits for Trees and how to mulch properly.
Time treatments for insects and diseases correctly. Our experts monitor environmental cues to determine the ideal time to apply treatments.
The Benefits of Professional Pruning
Pruning affects the tree for its entire life. For this reason, experts caution against taking a do-it-yourself approach. Improper pruning will reduce the tree’s aesthetic value, increase its hazard potential, and shorten the tree’s lifespan. Professionals also have the right equipment and training to access hard to reach spots safely!
Pruning tips to keep in mind:
- Young trees should be pruned every 1-3 years to ensure they grow with a good structure.
- Shrubs should be pruned regularly to maintain their desired size, maximize their flowering potential, and support their ability to naturally regenerate.
- Mature trees can be pruned any time of year to reduce potential risks from storm damage, or to address breakage from wind, lightning, or other events.
Contact Our Tree Care Experts
If you find anything troubling during your spring clean up, our ISA certified arborists can help. In fact, we can manage everything to keep your trees and shrubs healthy and looking their best. Contact us to schedule a consultation today!